Thursday 2 October 2014

It Takes Two...

Well, last week, as you may recall, I hadn’t even tried the outfit on that I had planned (in my head) for my mum and step-dads wedding anniversary party. I was a little anxious about that to say the least. But what I didn’t tell you was that I was more anxious about a curveball that my mum had thrown me at the last minute – I’ll tell you about that in a moment.

Here’s the outfit.


With it being a silver anniversary, I couldn’t resist a bit of silver and sparkle!



You might expect the jumper (H&M) to feel a little rough with it being so glittery, but it’s not – it’s actually really soft. It’s not too bulky or warm either so it was perfect for a stupidly mild September evening. And I’m thinking that this will be my go-to top over the festive season when I’m sipping mulled wine by an open fire in a nice cosy pub somewhere. Can’t believe I mentioned Christmas then without flinching - just the thought of the mulled wine is numbing my senses! 

I was told I looked demure in this outfit which was a bit of a surprise because when I put it on, I actually felt more like Rizzo from Grease. Think that was due to the slim-fit of the skirt and the way I had to walk, one foot over the other (catwalk stylee, if you will), that sent my hips a-swaying! 

The skirt (also H&M) held its shape really will – not that I sat down much throughout the evening to get a baggy bum – but if I had done, I wouldn’t have got a baggy bum, of that I’m sure! 





Shoes are George at Asda but these were purchased back in June so for a similar version see NEXT – they come in lots of colours including silver - ooh!  

And did you spy the gems around my neck? 



This is my newest acquisition from Alice’s Wonders.  It arrived just in time for Saturday (phew!) and it was perfect! 



It ties at the back of the neck with ribbon and although I was a little concerned that it would keep coming undone, it stayed securely in place until 3am when I finally went to bed (phew!).

So, the curveball from Mum went like this.

On 15th September I accepted Mum’s request to step in and read her speech if she got too emotional.

Then, just last Saturday, in a phone call, Mum exclaimed “I hope you’re not going to embarrass me in the speech, Mel?” to which I replied, “How can I embarrass you Mum when you’re writing it?”

It was then that the penny dropped. I had to write it AND read it! Great - one week to write a speech that sums up 25 years of marriage! 

Plenty of time I hear you all say. But no, it’s not actually. Let me explain.

There are, in a week, 168 hours. But for 56 of those hours I’m asleep and for 34 of them I’m at work. The list goes on:
  • Showering, make-up & hair 7
  • School run 2
  • Cajoling son to sit at table and start homework 30mins
  • Actually assisting with homework 1
  • Cooking 3
  • Housework 3     
  • Laundry 2
  • Washing-up 2
  • Food shopping 2
  • Blogging 3
  • Band rehearsal 1.5
  • Night out at beer festival 4
  • Baking & prep of party goodie bags 4
  • Calls & texts to mum re party /content of speech 2
  • And deduct a further God knows how many hours tidying up after the lovely, yet very untidy, Mr. B and I reckon I’m down to less than 2 days to get this mother in the bag! (The speech, not Mum!).

But, by the skin of my teeth I got it done (phew!). 

And unlike my speech that was over within 3 seconds at their actual wedding because I couldn’t stop crying (happy tears of course and I was only 16!), I held it together and it went down a storm (phew!).

And lastly, though not clothes related but kinda stylish all the same, I wanted to share with you the goodie bags that I made for the party.  



Batches of homemade tiffin divided up into cute little bags with homemade tags displaying the initials of the happy couple! Though the happy couple weren’t so happy that the gutsy greedy guests scoffed the lot!


So you see, I’ve been a busier bee than usual but, tonight Matthew, I am doing nada. 

Phew!

M x 

2 comments:

  1. Great outfit!! And the tiffin looks A. Ma. Zing!

    Thank you for featuring Alice's Wonders - the necklace looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! And you are most welcome - I love your collection.
    Mel x

    ReplyDelete

I like to know what you think of my posts, so please leave a comment.
Thank you.